Sunday, December 16, 2007

Physics on Broadway

Dear Strange Beings who inhabit the Physics building:

Listen, I know that finals stress everyone out. We all vent our academic anxiety in different ways. Some people overdose on caffeine and Adderall. Some people black out at Cornerstone before 5pm even rolls around. I personally like to jump in my car and run over pedestrians (if you've read my previous entry, this shouldn't surprise you that much). But your tendency to spontaneously burst into song--not just humming, either, but blatantly operatic arias--is a bit difficult for me to comprehend.

For example, I have on more than one occasion been sitting in lecture in 1412, peacefully doing the crossword, only to have the soporific silence disrupted by an unseen baritone belting out a tune from "Porgy and Bess". I have exchanged nervous glances with the other pre-health-professions students, as I attempt to locate the source of the incongruous and unexpected musical entertainment.

Ordinarily, I would chalk it up to the presence of a ghost. After all, the Physics building is ancient, full of fire hazards, and associated with misery for most who enter and exit it. However, I've actually walked past the Undergraduate Physics Majors lounge, where physics majors use spare time between classes to play chess and plot the destruction of the universe, and actually seen and heard people singing. I've also been sitting outside the lecture hall, again minding my own business, and seen these musical phantasms settle themselves at a RANDOM PIANO situated in the MIDDLE OF A HALLWAY, subsequently breaking into a beautiful, accompanied solo.

What's going on? Why is the Physics building a site of random musical interludes? Is Physics such a stressful major that it has drastically altered the region of the brain that modulates self-control? Is the building home to a mysterious wrinkle in the space-time continuum, forcing those who traverse its hallways to periodically succumb to an odd desire to declaim in song? Or is human existence slowly involving into a musical...and Physics majors are the first the know?

I beg of you, give me answers.

Sincerely,
Rhea, a non-Physics major and very poor singer

No comments: